The Genesee Riverway Trail is a scenic multi-use trail which runs through Rochester from the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario. It is a designated National Recreational Trail, and connects to both the statewide Erie Canal Heritage Trail and the Genesee Valley Greenway Trail, which continues south along the Genesee River.
There are many parks and historic districts to enjoy along the Genesee Riverway Trail. In addition, plans are underway to develop a New York State Park at High Falls. Tap the rendering below to learn more.
Download the free Tour Blend App, or tap the graphic below for a free, audio-narrated tour describing over 100 locations along the river.
You can access walking / biking tours along the river using these links:
- Walk on the Old Erie Canal
- High Falls Historic District
- Sturgeon Story – Charlotte to Lower Falls
- Charlotte and the Port of Rochester
- Lower Genesee Loops over two bridges
- Lower Falls and Maplewood Park
- High Falls Ecoloop over two bridges
- Downtown Riverfront and aqueduct
- South Loop from Ford St. Bridge
Genesee RiverWatch works to improve the water quality of the Genesee River and its tributaries. They have created a blueway map of the Genesee river to help canoeists and kayakers explore the river.
This website was created by the Genesee River Alliance. Be the first to learn about events and activities along the river by signing up for the Genesee River Alliance Enews.